The following are essential items you will need to better prepare for the hurricane season.
Survival Kit 1: Water
- Store water in plastic containers. Avoid using containers that will decompose or break, such as glass bottles.
- Store one gallon of water per person per day.
- Keep at least a seven-day supply of water for each person in your household. Do not forget water for your pets. They are also members of your family, if you have any.
Survival Kit 2: Food
Store at least a seven-day supply of non-perishable food. Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation of cooking and little or no water. These types of foods include:
- Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits and vegetables
- Canned juices
Survival Kit 3: First-Aid Kit
A first-aid kit should include:
- Adhesive bandages in all sizes
- Sterile gauze pads
- A small pair of scissors
- Needle and thread
- Assorted safety pins
- A supply of prescription medication, if you are taking any
- A supply of non-prescription medications such as over-the-counter painkillers
Survival Kit 4: Tools and Supplies
- Battery-operated radio and extra batteries
- Lanterns (Home Sweet Home lamps)
- Flash lights, one per person, with extra batteries for each
- Can opener
- Utility knife
- Plastic sheeting to protect valuable documents, etc.
Survival Kit 5: Sanitation
- Toilet paper
- Feminine supplies
- Personal hygiene products
- Plastic garbage bags
- Plastic bucket with a tight lid
- Household bleach
Survival Kit 6: Clothing and Bedding
- Include at least three complete change of clothing and footwear per person.
- Sturdy shoes or workboots.
- Rain gear
- Blankets or sleeping bags
Adapted from the Caribbean Disaster Readiness Manual, 1997-2007