The Meteorological Service of Jamaica has issued a Flash Flood Watch for low-lying and flood-prone areas of St. Catherine, Clarendon, Kingston and St. Andrew, St.
Thomas, Portland, St. Mary and St. Ann. The advisory is effective until 5.00pm on Thursday October 27, 2016.
- St. Thomas: The Johnson and Morant Rivers in the vicinity of the Hillside Community are in spate, persons are therefore cautioned to avoid the general Hillside area. The road to the Reggae Falls is now impassable.
- Portland: Landslides in the Belleview District, Portland have resulted in the roadway being cutoff.
The ODPEM continues to urge individuals to take the necessary safeguard to avoid flooded areas.
FLOOD SAFETY TIPS
- Be ready to evacuate if you live in low-lying or flood-prone areas.
- Decide on likely evacuation routes now.
- Avoid flooded waterways, i.e. Fording, gullies, streams or rivers, either on foot or in vehicles.
- Avoid areas where land slippages and/or flooding has occurred or is likely to occur.
- Evacuate to a shelter if your building is threatened
- Make contact with your Parish Disaster Coordinator (at each Parish Council) if you are in need of help.
Contact- Cheryl Nichols, Training Manager, ODPEM; email@example.com;
Tel: 1(876) 552-4861