The Meteorological Service of Jamaica has advised that there is currently a frontal system located West of Jamaica. The system should be within the island’s vicinity this evening and forecasted to travel across the island tomorrow.
Periodic outbreak of showers in the North Eastern section of the island has resulted in incidences of flooding being reported in the parish of Portland.
- Five (5) houses have been reported flooded in the Norman Lane area of Buff Bay
- Four (4) houses have been reported flooded in the Dobson Scheme (also in Buff Bay)
- A number of houses in the general Spring Garden area have been reported as experiencing incidences of flooding as well.
The National Works Agency (NWA) is aware of the situation its Parish Officers are monitoring the situation.
The Parish Disaster Coordinator, Portland, is assessing the situation to determine the need for shelter activation. A number of emergency shelters are in close proximity to the affected areas and include the Buff Bay Primary School as well as the Buff Bay Secondary School.
Flood Safety Tips
- Be ready to evacuate if you live in low-lying or flood-prone areas.
- Decide on likely evacuation routes now.
- Avoid flooded waterways, i.e. Fording, gullies, streams, or rivers, either on foot or in vehicles.
Contact- Cheryl Nichols, Training Manager ODPEM; email@example.com; Return
Tel: 1(876) 552-4861