As we move into the typically more active period of the Hurricane Season, we are now aware of the existence of Hurricane IRMA and Tropical Storm JOSE
Hurricane IRMA is expected to start impacting some islands of the Lesser Antilles on Tuesday evening into Wednesday.
As the system moves closer to the Jamaica on Friday/Saturday, it is expected to influence weather conditions producing rainfall of varying intensity.
Tropical Storm JOSE appears to be closely following the track of IRMA. However, that Tropical Storm is several days away from any land mass.
The Minister with responsibility for Disaster Risk Management, the Hon Desmond McKenzie; Minister of Local Government and Community Development was briefed this morning by the Director of the Meteorological Service of Jamaica, Mr. Evan Thompson and the Director General of the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management, Major Clive Davis.
The Public is being asked to continue monitoring the electronic media for further information pertaining to Hurricane Irma.
We are in the peak of the Hurricane season, so the ODPEM is advising the public to take the following precautions in the event that the Island was to be impacted by a tropical cyclone.
1. Check that the galvanized or zinc sheeting on the roof of your house is properly fastened, check hurricane shutters, hooks, latches and repair where necessary.
2. Keep in stock extra plastic bags and sheets of plastic to prevent important documents, paintings, equipment and furniture from getting wet.
3. Trim trees that touch power lines or hang over the house and other buildings.
4. Make sure that emergency cooking facilities such as coal stoves are in good working condition.
5. Store extra food, especially those which can be eaten without cooking or which need very little preparation.
6. Have emergency supplies in your home to include water boots, raincoats, flashlights, batteries, portable radio, kerosene lamps, matches and the necessary medical supplies.
The ODPEM will continue to keep the nation updated on both systems. “Disasters happen; prepare more and repair less”
Contact: Joyce Robinson, Information Officer Jrobinson@odpem.org.jm (876) 906 9674-5; Ext. 6102
754 9077-8 FAX: (876) 754 3229